Tuesday, March 15, 2005

In memory of Stan Grenz

Wow. I am away in Belfast at the moment and am typing this from an Internet kiosk in the city. I have just gotten back from the Nazarene district assembly in Bangor and was planning two days of rest and relaxation before going back to work in Kirkintilloch. I came online briefly to check emails. I have received several emails since I left home last week for my wee holiday. One was from Stan Grenz saying he was looking forward to coming to visit in July along with his wife, Edna. He sent that on Thursday.

Other emails were from friends who were informing me that Stan died on Saturday from a massive brain hemmorage. I am in shock. He was a friend and a great theologian, and he was only in his 50s. Wow! I will write more later. I do not know what to say.

2 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger Rhodester said...

My friend, I'm so sorry. You know that I wish Dorian and I could just jump on a plane and come all the way to Kirkie to give you some hugs right now, but we simply can't. What can one say? It brings to mind that old saying about the harder we plan, the harder God laughs, or whatever it is.. I'm sure I'm bumbling that, but you get the idea.

I never had the honor of meeting Stan but I sure would have liked to, just from your accounts. He seemed to be the sort of man that we all should aspire to be. You know that a life had great merit when the passing of the individual moves people to tears when they didn't even know him. That would be me today.

Well of course, if there's anything we can do.. just let us know. Although that rings kind of empty at the moment, doesn't it?

Love,

Dave & Dorian

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear dear Christopher,

How I wish that I were there in Scotland now. I too wish that I could jump on the next plane out to Kirkie and be there to comfort you. As Dave said Stan was a man that we all should aspire to be. I wish that I could have met him. We need more people like that in this world. You are one of these people Laddie. Know this. You have aspired me in more ways than one. I too am moved to tears. If there is anything that I can do.... let me know. Take Care my friend!

Love,

EE/Elizabeth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home