Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I'll have the regular please!

"I'll have my regular please." Those are words I was accustomed to saying in severa places when I lived in America, but it is only recently that I can do so here in Scotland. It seems to take longer here to get past the "professional" barrier in restaurants and shops than it does in most of the States. However, I felt like the great barrier had truly been broken the other day when I went into the chippy (fish and chips shop) across the street and the man who runs the place started an all out conversation with me. He asked me all about myself out of genuine interest, and we had a great chat. I had started going into that shop several times a week about a year ago because I wanted to establish a relationship with the people in local businesses. Sometimes I go there for my meals, and sometimes I go there just for a carton of milk or a bottle of Coke. These purchases cost just a bit more than they would at the supermarket, but I figured the investment was worth it and was sure the barrier would be broken eventually if I came in often enough. Now every time I go in he treats me like a friend, and I'm enjoying learning to know him and his staff. In recent months the employees of several other local shops have also begun to acknowledge their recognition of me and to talk to me as more than just a "customer." Now why am I excited about this? I think it's because I know it's out of genuine interest that they are taking in me and not just professional courtesy. They just wouldn't bother here if they didn't really want to learn to know me, so this means that I am becoming much more than just a stranger living in the community. I am become part of the community. It's exciting to me that Kirkintilloch is becoming more and more "home." Of course, the confusing part is that I'm thinking of leaving in December, but I don't really know for sure what lies ahead. Whatever the case, no matter where I live I have a feeling that this town will always be a home to me.

1 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger Rhodester said...

Funny, when I go into a fish and chips shop it's to get fish and chips. I never thunk to go in for the purpose of getting to know the guy who fries the fish.

Of course, some years ago I walked into a video store and walked out with a wife, as you well know (there's a little more to it than that, but basically that's what happened).

So you might stay in Kirkie, eh? We have a fish and chips shop here (actually, a couple of 'em!) but I don't know the names of the people who work in them. Perhaps you should move here and introduce me to them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home