Saturday, November 18, 2006

The witch doctor in Tanzania

Right...I promised ages ago that I would tell more stories of Africa. I now ALSO have stories to tell of India, as well as lots of other interesting things that have happened lately, but I've managed to get myself so busy that I haven't kept up on my journal. That has become a habit lately...but once again I have decided to try to write more often. I will begin with the story of the witch doctor in Tanzania...

At one location where we were sharing the message of Christ's love with a community in Tanzania in August, there was a large crowd gathered to listen. As the local African choirs sang and danced, suddenly a man in a long robe walked into the middle of the crowd. Many of the people started to get very nervous, and they moved away from him. For a moment, we thought we were going to lose the crowd.

Who was this man? We found out that he was the local witch doctor. He didn't like what we were doing, so he had come to try to intimidate the crowd and keep anybody from responding to our message. According to what I was told, he was a very powerful magician and a very dangerous man to anyone who called themselves his enemy.

A strange thing started to happen as the man stood there. Not only did the attitude of the whole crowd start to change, all of us on the team started getting overwhelmingly sleepy as the man stood there and stared. Was this some kind of curse? Some kind of magic? I wasn't sure, but I knew I had to take action just in case (and before we all fell asleep!).

I went up on the platform to preach and started praying out loud. I said, "I am a child of God, and I claim the authority of Jesus Christ who lives in me as I bind any evil spirits in this place and command them to leave in Jesus' name." Then I continued to pray for the people before I preached, but as soon as I had said this the witch doctor walked away. We never saw him again, and a lot of people came to Christ. The new church planted in that village is moving along well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home