Monday, September 05, 2005

Celebrating Life

This has been a very good weekend. After a year that has seen too much death and tragedy amongst friends as well as around the world, this weekend was all about life. First, my friends Narineh and Daniel had a wedding...again. Then another couple of close friends welcomed a new life into the world.

I went to Dan and Narineh's wedding in Armenia a few weeks ago, but they also followed up that original event with two more. This was partially in observance of cultural customs wherein the wedding traditionally lasts more than one day, and it was also a way of giving people a chance in more than one country to be part of the celebration.

The second event was in England, but I missed it because I was in Egypt, but the third event was on Saturday night and I had the privilege of being there. They had a night of celebration in "The Crypt", which is the site of a youth church that has been started by Queen's Park Baptist Church in Glasgow. There was a lot of music, dancing and food. The groom made a speech with the bride translating so that both Farsi and English speakers could understand, and then Narineh, Daniel and I sang How Great Thou Art again. I started the song in a key that was too high for Narineh, so we struggled through the song and didn't sound as professional as we had in Armenia, but we had a good time singing together and the people seemed to enjoy it anyhow. It was a good night. The bride and groom both looked very happy, and the bride looked lovely as she got to wear her wedding dress one more time.

During the wedding event, I suddenly felt a little after 10pm that I needed to check for messages on my phone. I had left my mobile phone in the glove box of my car, so I went out to the car to see if there was something important there. And there was! Graeme and Nicola are good friends of mine from Riverside Church here in Kirkintilloch, and the message was from Graeme. He asked me to pray because he thought Nicola was starting to have contractions. After I sang the song with Narineh and Daniel a little after eleven, I told them I needed to go so I could be nearby in case there were any complications. I arrived back in Kirkintilloch a little after 1140 and got the message that the baby had just been born.

I talked to the happy dad on the phone. It had all gone very quickly. The baby was in such a hurry to enter the world that they almost didn't get Nicola into a bed in time. Little Nathan James Adams came into the world at about 1140pm. I was with him and the family the following afternoon and had the privilege of holding the new life in my arms. I was very pleased to be able to be there with the Adams family during this blessed time and to see their handsome, healthy child.

It has been a good weekend. I praise God for the gift of life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home