Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A day in Linlithgow


I had a lovely day off yesterday. I drove to Linlithgow, the town I lived in for awhile before I came to work at the church in Kirkintilloch. Linlithgow is an amazing little town that will always have a special place in my heart.

I visited a couple of friends from the church I was involved with from 2001-2003. One of the people I visited was one of the very first people I had the privilege of helping lead to Christ in Scotland, so it was wonderful just to see how she continues to grow and how much God has changed her in the past few years.

I also had a chance to go on my favourite walk. I walked around the loch (lake in non-Scottish English) that is pictured above. It was hot and sunny, so it was a perfect day for a walk. I have many memories of that walk, as I often took an hour or so to circle the loch and pray. That's what I did this time, and I also stopped along the way a couple of times to soak in the sunshine and read a book. Occasionally, passers by stopped and talked to me, commenting on the lovely weather. "It's a lovely day, isn't it?" they would invariably say.

Along the way, I stopped at Linlithgow Palace, the magnificent ruin that sits in the park by the loch. The palace was the birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots and is a favourite stop for tourists who take the time to go past Edinburgh and see the wonders of this great land. The spot of grass on the picture to the right is my favourite spot in the world to sit and meditate on life. I have spent many hours lounging in that grass, watching sunsets, praying, reading books, and just thinking. Yesterday, I returned to that favourite spot after a long absence and thought about all the things that have happened in my life over the past couple of years.

I have many great memories of Linlithgow. I had a girlfriend there (didn't last), I had a church there and started many friendships (which have lasted) that changed my life forever. I've since moved on to another place and am happy where I am, but I will also always be thankful for the rich memories that Linlithgow gave to me.I think maybe I should return for a visit more often.

2 Comments:

At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

what a wonderful time you seem to be having. glad to read you are doing well.

your descriptions almost make me want to come and visit Scotland.

Cynthia

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Rhodester said...

Looks like someone figured out the little picture uploading feature on blogger- good job! It looks nice.

We LOVED Linlithgow, as you know- the Palace ruins are fascinating. If anyone gets a chance to visit they should put that high their list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home